Happy New Year to you all!
Hope it’s all been well and good for you so far, but lets get back to business with some book related posts! Last year I unfortunately did not meet my good reads goal of 40 books before the first of January. I did start in July, so 40 might have been a little steep, but I managed to get through 26 books- that’s 8,682 pages!
High five, A+, whatever. I’ve set my Goodreads goal to 50 books in 2016, which is definitely possible considering I read 26 books in a span of about 5 months.
So lets get right to it!
The highest rated book I read (according to Goodreads) was:
The Martian by Andy Weir
I WILL be posting an in depth review of this book in the future. As for now, Goodreads rates it at 4.38 stars out of five on average and it was also the 2014 Goodreads CHOICE winner! This book revolves around astronaut Mark Watney’s struggle to survive on Mars after his crew accidentally leaves him behind during an emergency evacuation. Despite the grave situation Mark faces, this book is full of humor and wit.
The SHORTEST book I read was:
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut
This was a grand total of nine pages long! I read it purely out of curiosity. Unfortunately, this book didn’t really stick with me. It had a great rating on Goodreads and the reviews are all spectacular, but the plot wasn’t that memorable in my opinion.
The LONGEST book I read was:
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I actually did a review on this book and awarded it a full five star rating! It is a total of 530 pages long, and didn’t feel like a cumbersome read in the least. For my full opinion on this read, click here.
On Average, I read 334 pages a book. Sounds about right!
The MOST POPULAR BOOK I read was:
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
This book has been rated by 373,523 readers, has 34,421 reviews, was read by 397,523 users, and currently sits at 3.28 stars on Goodreads. While I gave it a four star rating on Goodreads, I also did an in depth review of this book earlier in the year! If you’d like to read it, click here. I also finished this series in 2015 and will be posting a review on the next two books in the future!
The LEAST POPULAR book I read was:
The Forbidden Planet by Philip MacDonald
This highly underrated book has been rated by 41 readers, has 6 reviews, 47 total readers, and sits at a whopping 4.07 stars. I have this book rated at a five out of five stars, and I’m on the hunt for a physical copy after reading the kindle edition. This book was published in the 50’s, which makes it a bit of an outdated read, but I would highly recommend it to those who are die hard fans of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, or War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. It was adapted into a movie the same year and has a five star rating on Rotton Tomatos!
Phillip MacDonald’s other novels are also very highly rated on Goodreads.
MY AVERAGE RATING WAS: 4/5 stars.
My ratings in 2015 from lowest to highest:
One to Three Star Ratings:
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh 1/5 Stars (Pending Review)
- Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headly 2/5 Stars (Pending Review)
- I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne 3/5 Stars
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 3/5 Stars
- Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews 3/5 Stars
- Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut 3/5 Stars
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 3/5 Stars (Pending Review upon series completion)
- Sleep Donation by Karen Russell 3/5 Stars
Four Star Ratings:
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey 4/5 Stars
- Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page 4/5 Stars
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (1 of 3) by Ransom Riggs 4/5 Stars
- Library of Souls (3 of 3) by Ransom Riggs 4/5 Stars (Pending Review)
- A Court of Thornes and Roses by Sarah J Maas 4/5 Stars
- The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey 4/5 Stars
- Its Kind of a Funny Story by Nick Vizzini 4/5 Stars
Five out of Five Star Ratings:
These will not be in order of favorites since they are all 5/5.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- Every Last Word by Tamera Ireland Stone
- The Martian by Andy Weir (Pending Review)
- All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Hawkeye Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction
- Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl (Pending Review)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander (JK Rowling)
- Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Wisp (JK Rowling)
- Hollow City (2 of 3) by Ransom Riggs (Pending Review)
- Forbidden Planet by Philip MacDonald
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Pending Review)
Any of these books I have reviews posted on will be linked, simply click their title. If a review is pending it will be noted beside the book. If you would like to request a review, simply leave a comment below!
My Favorite book of 2015 was:
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
I won’t be speaking too much on why I love this book just yet, but I will be posting a review on this book in the future with all my thoughts. But I loved this book so much I bought my Mom a copy for christmas and I’ve been nagging her to read it ever since. This novel is a beautifully written tale based around an end of the world scenario so well pieced together that I read this book in a matter of two days (between two eight hour shifts- not bad at all). I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars and can’t wait to read it again. It’s also being adapted into a MOVIE in the near future.
Producer Scott Steindorff acquired rights to the novel in February of 2015 and no further announcements have been made yet, but I can’t wait to see it on the big screen!
That concludes my 2015 Reads in Review! If you would like to continue to follow my reading progress, come be my friend on Goodreads or follow me on Snapchat at lionsforbrkfst.
Thank you for reading.